Wednesday, May 21, 2014

A Super Quilt for an Amazing Hero

There's a special little guy that I know who's fighting a deadly disease called Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. I met his mom thru mutual friends, and I've watched their family fight against this debilitating disease for the last few years. It's taken a toll on Dalton's little body. But his faith and their hope is contagious!! The Al-Chokhachi family inspires people every where they go. Their family motto is, "Blessed! Live on Purpose!" And they do. Every day. Working. Loving. Encouraging. Check out their Facebook page, if you'd like to know more of Dalton's story.

Dalton has had a love of Super Heroes since he was itty bitty. In fact, it was his love of Super Heroes that endeared him to me before I ever met him. Dalton and my Levi are just about the same age, and Levi has always loved Super Heroes, too. Levi went e.v.e.r.y. where in his costumes. He even secretly wore his Spidey suit to church one day UNDER his church clothes. As soon as the last 'Amen' was said, he whipped the mask out of his pocket, stripped off his jeans and shirt, and Levi "Spiderman" Provence left the building.

I was with Dalton's mom, Stacie, at a crafting retreat last winter. The more she shared about her little guy, the more I wanted to do something special for him. I played around with the idea of this quilt for several months, designing it in my head and researching logos. After the girls came home and we were cocooning, I needed a project to keep my mind and my hands occupied. So I grabbed a stack of Kona cottons and a bolt of fusible interfacing, printed off a few logos, and got to work. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome :)


Click on any of the pictures below to see a close-up of each block. The quilting on each block is unique, and there's a heart hidden in one of them -- that's my signature :) The main block in the middle is Dalton's personal Super Hero logo -- 3D -- which stands for Dalton Defeating Duchenne.


...


The back of the quilt is a hip, modern design called "Groove". I fell in love with that pattern when I first saw it, and I knew it needed to be part of Dalton's quilt. He's a real groovy kind of kid. 




Like any good Super Hero, Dalton's true identity lies just below the surface. He is a Child of God. A living, breathing testimony to the goodness of our Creator, who calls us all to rely on HIM alone for our next breath. 

It was my sincere honor to create this quilt for Dalton and his family. In the grand scheme of things, it's not much. But that little guy was prayed for over and over and over again during the hours that I worked on it.


Linking up with the Spring 2014 Blogger's Quilt Festival at AmysCreativeSide.com. If you love quilts, you'll love this Festival!!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt! Beautiful story!

Deonn said...

Wendylou, what a special quilt this is - yes, very groovy! It sounds like it was a quilt for you too, as you "adopted" a new lifestyle. Quilts heal, that's all I know.

Sally Hurley said...

The backing is as impressive as the front! What a wonderful quilt. Dalton must love it.

CitricSugar said...

That is awesome - my nerd self is very happy!

Prayers for the little guy - Duchene's is a tough one, for sure!

CitricSugar said...

That is awesome - my nerd self is very happy!

Prayers for the little guy - Duchene's is a tough one, for sure!

CitricSugar said...

That is awesome - my nerd self is very happy!

Prayers for the little guy - Duchene's is a tough one, for sure!

Vivian said...

Winner, winner, a great quilt for a great cause! I hope this special gift gives Dalton a big lift in spirit and helps him keep fighting the good fight.